Using Sump Pumps
A sump pump is an effective tool to keep water out of your home or business:
- Install a sump pump with a battery backup system:
- This may require demolition of a portion of the basement floor to install the pump.
- To be effective, the sump pump needs to be away from the basement walls and have positive drainage away from the building.
- Sump pumps should be tested at least once a year, preferably in the early spring, prior to the “wet season.”
- Test the system if a storm is approaching, and make sure the sump pit does not contain any debris that will clog the sump’s inlet pipe.
- Ensure the outlet pipe is clear and the water flows freely to the designated area.
- If the sump does not operate properly, check the power source for the pump.
- If you cannot determine the problem yourself, contact a professional to diagnose the problem.
© 2012 Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety